Gemoor Khar and The Thakurs of Lahoul
Gemoor Khar, established in 1920, was the estate of Thakur Mangal Chand (1886 -1969) Rais and Ex Wazir of Lahaul . The Khar, meaning manor house, was a grand 5 storey mansion with more than 40 rooms and large stables . This was practically the last outpost on this inhospitable but important trade route connecting India to the Silk Route via Ladakh and Karakorum Pass.
During the summer months the place hummed with activity, with trader, officials, European explorers and scholars stopping over to relax and enjoy the hospitality of the Thakur